Wednesday, January 29, 2014

It's The Little Things

In exactly one week, Just Son will turn 11 years old.

We don't have a huge party planned. Actually, I don't really have a lot of anything planned. To be honest, I didn't even realize it was the end of January until bedtime last night when JS and I looked at the calendar in his room. As I was tucking him in to bed, he wanted to know when Groundhog Day and President's Day were (this Sunday, and Feb. 17, by the way). That's when it dawned on me that his birthday was a week away. What can I say? It's just another bad momma moment. I'm blaming it this time on brain freeze caused by stretches of Antarctica-like days.

Anyway ... The conversation soon turned to February birthdays -- his, Abe Lincoln's, George Washington's and mine. Being the clever mom that I am, I took the opportunity to casually steer the conversation toward what would make his birthday a very happy one.

Me: What would you like for your birthday? (See? I'm so clever. ;-) )

JS: A Happy Birthday balloon! 

Me: Is there a toy or a movie you'd like?

JS: No. Just a Happy Birthday balloon.

Me: OK. What would you like for dinner on your birthday? Do you have a special request, like enchiladas or spaghetti?

JS: CAKE!


It truly is the little things. ;-)


post signature

2 comments:

Mari said...

JS has his priorities right. :) Happy Birthday JS!

Momma Roar said...

Cake and a balloon - sounds like a great way to celebrate!